Baryon village of Kotkhai under Shimla district came under inferno as fire broke out this morning reducing seven houses to ashes, sources said.
A fire broke out from a house of Sohan Lal this morning as a curtain in a Pooja room caught fire from a worshiping candle which later engulfed the entire house.
Since the house was carved of wooden furniture it suddenly turned to ember and it also took in spat six houses in the line of fire, rendering 16 people homeless.
The fire sources pressed four fire engines to douse down the flames one each from fire station Theog, Rohru and two from Shimla, who tried to combat the major fire which could not be controlled immediately.
Some houses in the line of fire had to be dismantled by the villagers as it was causing threat to entire village and most of the houses were made of wooden furniture of deodar, which is highly inflammable.
No loss of life is yet reported as efforts were on to bring it under control.
The fire reportedly broke out at 0930 hours this morning local people rushed to bring out most of their valuables and cattles from the ill-fated houses.
It is worthwhile to mention here that in early hours of January 28 about 110 years old British era Building Gorton castle was gutted in devastating fire which was even declared as national treasure on completion of one hundred days.