The outbreak of Gastroenteritis claimed one life as 6244 cases reported positive for epidemic in this hill state.
This was disclosed by Health Minister Kaul Singh Thakur replying to the call attention motion raised by Randhir Sharma (Naina Devi-BJP) he said that Gastroenteritis broke out in the two Gram Panchayat of Bilaspur district in the month of November as 356 cases were found positive for this fatal disease.
He said that soon after outbreak of epidemic a team of IGMC doctors had rushed to the affected villages which found water sources infected with Shigella bacteria as it also took the sample.
A seven years old girl died due to this epidemic who could not be admitted in the hospital timely, Minister said denying more death due to it in the district.
He also accused the media to glare up the outbreak stating that IGMC team rushed up to the spot on November 30 and microbiologist took water samples of polluted water sources which treated with chlorination found positive for pathogen.
Condemning the media reports about the prevalence of spurious drugs in the hospital supply, Minister said that not a single sample of drugs failed or found substandard.
He said that this epidemics have taken six life in last two years as three each died in years 2011-12 and 2012-13 respectively.
Mr. Singh said that Kangra district reported highest 844 cases for Gastroenteritis, Mandi 457, Hamirpur 126 and Shimla 186. He said that 200 doctors would be appointed in the state hospital to remove shortage of staff in next two years.
Minister said that most of Gastroenteritis case were pouring in the state due to water borne infections despite Health Department was giving good services to the people in the state.
He denied the accusation made by opposition member that epidemic repeated in month of December due to negligence of health department. Only one life was claimed by this epidemic and a Nepali worker had been declared dead due to heart attack by the medical officials.
Earlier raising this issue in the house Mr. Sharma alleged that the state government remained failed to tackle this epidemic as it was repeated twice in village Jabli, Nauni and Mangla in the district. He alleged that there was no tandem approach between various department as no task force was form to tackle the epidemic.
Showing newspaper clipping in the house, member alleged that two life has been claimed by this disease as it was confirmed by the medical officers quoted by the newspaper.
He also alleged that retired medical officials were looking after taking charge of health department in the district could not sort out the outbreak of epidemics and there is acute shortage of doctors in the districts.