Fifteen shops were gutted by a devastating fire which reportedly broke out today from electric short circuit in a congested market in Chamba this morning. The fire could be brought under control after 13 hours. Close to a dozen fire tenders were pressed into service to combat inferno.
Chamba District Magistrate Sharab Negi told HimVani that the fire broke out at 0230 hrs and gutted down 15 shops in heart of town while damaging number of residential houses. The fire tenders were pressed into fire combating operation from Chamba, Chemera, Kheri, Dalhousie, Pathankot and Dharamshala.
He said home guards, ITBP and state police jawans were assisting in the operation . The fire reportedly caused loss of Rs 25 crore to the property while half dozen others got injured when entire town suddenly plunged in to darkness and people rushed to save them inside building during night hours.
Vidhan Sabha Speaker Tulsi Ram, Local MLA B K Chauhan, Chamba ADM Ashwani Chawdhary, SDM Rohit Rathore visited the the spot and handed over financial assistance of Rs 25000 each to the owner of buildings while Rs 10,000 to the tenant who got displaced due to fire .
The century old Chamba market and congested Charpet residential area were affected by the fire. The victims were identified as Shivang Sharma, Narinder Mahanjan, Kuldeep Chopal, Janak Raj Vaid and Kishan Chand Kayala. As many as 19 families were affected by the fire.
Mr. Negi told HimVani that magisterial enquiry had been ordered to probe fire incident while District Administration making arrangements for staying of people rendered homeless at a inn in the town.