By: Shikha Patial
Shimla: There’s something amazingly special about Saturdays on the Shimla Mall Road. The century old Mall Road buzzes extraordinarily on Saturdays with the ensemble of city’s entire young crowd. It wasn’t always the same; Saturdays were no different from any other day, but gradually in the past few years every Saturday on the Mall has become like a festive day of every week and can never go unnoticed. Saturday on the Mall means youth, fashion, trends, dating and style. The hangout culture amongst boys and girls has made it young and happening. The Mall – the only and the most happening hang-out place of Shimla! Seasons go on and off; Saturday on the Mall keeps buzzing and happening like some college festival, throughout the year.
A colourful evening on The Ridge, Shimla (Photo by: Rahul Irani)
Gotta catch this Saturday on Mall:
• Every Guy n Gal has to dress up in the best trendy n funky gear. I just love it as I get to follow the new trends live and happening. Wanna know what’s in these days? Gotta catch this Saturday on the Mall!!
• It’s lot of fun sitting and watching how this small town has surpassed every metro city in terms of fashion and trends. Hanging jeans, Cool captioned T-Shirts, pierced ears and eyebrows and rusty bracelets and neck wear… This is how a Shimla’s stud or a dude looks like. Yo!! Go for this fun-filled sight this Saturday on The Mall!!
• Not behind are the galz in anyway. “The Queen of Hills” is soon gonna become “The Queen of trend setters”.
• Summers have knocked in and the Mall is all shimmered with those big and cool looking Rayban and Fast Track glares. Even when the Sun has hidden itself, glares are still on, because in Shimla we don’t get to wear them often. Let’s not waste even an evening.
• Hanging out means dating and flirting! Total Fun! This is what is marked by the Saturdays on the Mall – the most. It’s like one big social gathering of teens and college crowds on the weekend. It’s like an open air Discotheque. So the Youngistanis can miss anything but the Saturday on the Mall. Single? Ready to Mingle? Gotta catch this Saturday on Mall!!
• Another important eye candy on the Malll is those two tall and handsomely dressed policemen controlling the crowd and maintaining the left hand side rule dividing the crowd into two lanes. They are always the tallest of the crowd and carry that disciplined attitude on their face, giving you the feeling of controlled monkey business. Without them, Saturday on the Mall would be like any day in Lower Bazaar.
• What do you do for hours and hours there on Mall? Shopping? Well the answer is: hardly any. Sit in the Barista, CCD or the like? If the pocket allows, or you have finally got a date… Hurray!! And if none of these happen… then? Well the answer is what most of the crowd does on Saturday, which doesn’t even cost anything, roaming around from one end of the Mall to the other. That too for hours. Your eyes are busy searching your favourite eye candy. You don’t even realise the time and after all Shimlaittes have great potential to walk.
I guess now you know why there is something amazingly special about Saturday on The Mall. I can bet it can beat any hangout place, because it’s the only one of its kind, open air, doesn’t cost you a penny and still guarantees a lot of fun.
Long live Saturdays on The Mall.