HPSEB line man electrocuted, two transformers burnt down
February 8, 2013
Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board was facing tough time in the inclement weather to restore power supply. HPSEB suffered a major set back when a line man died as he got electrocuted while working on a transformer. Moreover two transformers were also reported burnt down in the Rampur development block, 132 km from Shimla plunging the entire area in darkness.
Due to heavy snowfall in rest of the district, power supply could not be restored completely. Jadoon Gram Panchayat comprising of five villages is without power for last 21 days. Similarly number of villages in the district are without power or at times are affected by erratic power supply, load shedding and frequent power cuts.
Spokesman said that power spans and cables were damaged due to heavy snowfall and uprooting of trees. It is also taking time to resume power supply as there is enough snow in the affected area, above this, inclement weather is creating problem to restore power. He added that power consumption has suddenly increased in the winter season forcing the HPSEB to impose power cuts in some areas. The over drawing of power is also causing frequent power failure as people are home bound depending upon electrical appliances during extreme cold weather conditions.
The power conditions in snowbound Lahaul and Spiti, Kullu, Kinnaur and Chamba district is reported in pathetic condition and people are living without power and mobile phones. Extreme shortage of staff in HPSEB is also causing hurdle to resume power supply in the state.